Wednesday, June 17, 2009

PART II

OK, I was going to go into the issues in this post. How to explain poverty, homelessness, hunger, etc. to your kids, but I felt I had more to say about communication. So, here goes...how do you talk to a child of any age to make them understand the problems of the world without either alarming them or having them tune you out completely? Well, like I said before, discussion. At my house we talk about everything, which occasionally freaks my husband out, but when a subject comes up, and believe me if you can think of a topic its come up in my house, we talk about it. Our conversation is always natural not nervous, and based on what my child has seen, heard or experienced.

Like we do, you need to ask your kids what they think about the subject and don't forget 'why'. Respect their opinion, then objectively ask them to rationalize their opinion. Again, why do they think the way they do, what have they seen or been told? If they’ve got their facts wrong gently correct them and show them why they are under the wrong impression. Point out the obvious and explain the facts simply, tell them the 'age appropriate' truth about why things are the way they are. You wouldn't give a second grader the mechanics of sex, it's the same with this don't be brutal or shove it down their throats. Speak to them the way you want them to speak to you especially with teens, be respectful, bring them up to your level. They’ll respect, appreciate and love you for it.

Keep your opinions out of it. Actually that's not true, I always put in my opinions but I do precede my statements with 'this is my opinion, it may not be yours, you don't have to agree with me, you are entitled to your own opinion just like everyone else is.' Keep in mind what an opinion is. An opinion is just that, it is not a truth and it has no value except to express one person’s point of view. This is a discussion. Give your kid some credit, don't discount what they have to say. Kids are very smart, they are also observant, savvy and long to be listened to and taken seriously. Don't talk down to them and they may surprise you with their insight. I love kids and I always speak to them as if they were adults, and not little adults either. They know that I'm paying attention to every word they say, and that I'm taking them seriously. That's how I get them to excel in their ideas, because I show them I believe in them. If you don't believe in them, they're not going to believe they can make a difference in this world. To them, every idea will be your idea, why should they contribute. Let it be their idea. They're our future.'Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment